Thursday, November 10, 2005

The self-destruction of Google? How not to earn money from ad-sense

From digg.com: Firefox Extensions recommended by a Google engineer (Matt Cutts). Matt Cutts introduces Ad-block, a Firefox extension which when combined with Filterset.G, a popular Ad-block script, blocks Google's Ad-sense advertisement. It does not seem to make sense to me...it's contradicting...a Google employee potentially decreasing the amount of ads viewed (just kidding...how much damage can it do?)...Also, Google is paying $1 for each new Firefox user you refer. Well, this move is obviously against Microsoft and could pay off the $1 as the stakes for internet dominance are high. However, I dare say that Firefox users are on the whole more tech savvy than Internet Explorer and are more likely to use Ad-blocking programs. This is a far cry from the earlier days of the Internet where the majority still uses dial-up. The first Ad-blocking program was created then, and along with it was complains from Ad companies that it was wrong etc...

Anyway, I would recommend visitors to my blog to try Firefox. Here's an interesting link providing 13 good reasons to switch to Firefox: Kill Bill's browser. When I first accessed Kill Bill's browser, I thought it was just a play on the movie Kill Bill just to justify the bruceleesque(not burlesque...I just coined this term for pun) bright yellow and black theme. Only when I saw the words Microsoft did it hit me that it was a double pun on the creator of the aforementioned company's founder. It was a little cruel though but I hope that he will take it like a joke. What was more cruel(to me at least) was that I did not realise the double pun fast enough...I've always pride myself on being good with puns and such.

I could do with some extra cash but I have not signed up for Ad-sense. Why? Coz I've figured out that based on the pathetic number of hits my site gets, the pittance I would receive wouldn't even be enough to justify irritating readers. Also, with my advocating of stuff such as Firefox and Ad-block, readers of my blog won't get to see many Ads anyway. Perhaps I can consider ad-sense when my readership increases significantly.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.